The purpose of the Fire Explorer Program is to give students the opportunity to get experience in the Fire Fighting Field. The program allows students to help out their community and at the same time lets them obtain knowledge in all areas of public safety. The Fire Explorer Program is a great way to obtain experience if you’re thinking about a career in public safety.
What could you do as a Fire Explorer?
There are various activities you can participate in as a Fire Explorer:
- Setup rehabilitation stations for emergency personnel. This includes helping the fire fighters while they fight fires, by supplying oxygen, water and anything necessary to allow them to go back and fight the fire.
- Support staff during a fire. This would include setting up all necessary tools and equipment needed to fight a fire.
- Traffic Control would be necessary at the scene of an accident or fire. An Explorer would help the flow of traffic and divert cars from the scene.
- Explorer Academy is a week long camp dedicated to drills and activities that have to do with fire fighting. This is a great way to meet other Explorers from all around California. You can learn new ideas and techniques, as well as work on your skills as an Explorer.
Once you complete a check off list and are 16 years old, you can help out with more critical parts of the operation. You’re allowed to respond to calls on an engine.
How much time would you need to commit as an Explorer?
The program requires you to devote a lot of time and effort both in and out of the fire station. You must be serious about being a Fire Explorer.
- Meetings are every Tuesday from 7pm – 9pm.
- You must be willing to attend calls and come into the fire department to help with miscellaneous chores.
What kind of career could you pursue after being an Explorer?
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technician)
The experience you get from being an explorer can lead you into a lot of different careers. If you are interested in the medical field, it is a great opportunity to get emergency care experience.
What is required in order to become a fire explorer?
- You must be a freshman in High School and 14 years of age.
- There is a membership fee of $10 a year.
- It helps to be physically fit!
- You will be asked to write a letter of intent, explaining why you want to become an explorer.
- There is also an interview process, so it helps to know a bit about the program!
- Most importantly, you must be willing to learn!
Note: Your parents must review the rules and regulations and sign that they have read and understand what is expected of the explorer.
For more information about the Explorer Program, call the Fire Station at 707-894-3545.